Bad things bring about conversation

Have you ever had something stolen or broken into? It's a weird feeling that comes over you.

I can remember when my car got broken into my first year in Chicago and my Kenwood stereo and 6 disc CD changer was stolen out of the car. I remember walking up to my car right in front of my house and seeing the passenger window busted and being totally shocked that this happened to me.

In last 2 years in Peoria, two of our neighbors have now had their cars stolen. One neighbor found there's on the cul-de-sac of our street because it was a stick shift vehicle and those that stole couldn't figure out how to get it in reverse. Our other neighbors haven't found their vehicle yet. It just happened two days ago.

In both instances with our neighbors they shared on our Facebook group message feed to let everyone else know to lock your car doors and if you can keep your cars off the street. Along with the shock that this happened to me, comes wanting to let others know what happened. It seems like the big events on our block are what bring us all out or get us talking. Unfortunately, sometimes those big things are the stolen cars, a death in the family, serious sickness. This just makes me think that I need to be more purposeful in having conversations with my neighbors and not wait for the big bad things to happen in order to make conversation start. But, when the bad things come up it's a great time to engage with people and show you care.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure