Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

Within 20 minutes we forget 40% of what we learned. After another 40 minutes, we forget half of it. One day later, we will have lost more than 70%. We only retain about 30% of what we learn. Typically what touches or interests us according to German philosopher, Hermann Ebbinghaus.

So how do we remember more? Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

Repeating something learned 3 times will help in remembering more of it. After learning something go over the information again one day later, then 3 days later and then 6 days later and your retention will be much greater.

A lot of times I learn something and then never go back to it again and my retention is poor. Or I can remember in college spending hours cramming all at one time right before a test and also not retaining much.

As I've been reading more, listening to podcasts and attempting to learn more lately I've noticed that repetition is a big player in those that are good "teachers". They say the same or similar things over and over again. I'm noticing that some of the concepts are starting to stick with me though... so I'd say it's working.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure