Idols still exist

Idols aren't just manmade statues that are worshipped.

An idol is anything that we love more than we love God... anything other than God that we rely upon for our happiness... anything other than God that we depend upon for protection against our fears... anything that receives the first fruits of our time, the first fruits of our resources, the first fruits of our commitments.

So I ask myself the questions. Am I loving anything more than God? Am I relying on anything besides God to make me happy? Am depending on anything other than God to ultimately protect and provide for me? Am I giving anything other God the very first of my time, first of what I have, first of what I commit to each day?

These are great questions to ask yourself each week. It is so tempting to worship the created rather than the Creator, but creation can never ever give us what the Creator alone can give. The created things are not in themselves evil, they are actually good and are signs that point us to the Savior, but when they are looked to as a Savior they become idols.

Only Christ is worthy of our worship. For only He gives life. No idol, even though they still exist, can give life.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure