Becoming a habit

How many people actually floss every day?

I didn't. I didn't even floss once a month. I don't think I'd even floss every couple of months. I usually didn't even think about flossing until I was going to the dentist. And the only reason I would do it before I went to the dentist is that I knew they would ask me if I'd been flossing.

That all changed when I married a hygienist. And she thought it was absolutely disgusting that I didn't floss every day. She would ask me every night before we went to bed if I flossed. If I hadn't she would basically make me go floss my teeth. That asking has turned my extremely infrequent flossing into a pretty much every single day flossing. I still don't like it, but I'm told it's good for me and my health and so I do it.

Flossing is a pretty small thing, but it's just an example of how doing something daily, every day with the help of others that are around you encouraging you to do can turn something into a habit, part of your routine.

So, how long does it take for something to become a habit? Supposedly the number has been 21 days, but more research in recent years is looking more like a little over 2 months. The key is repetition for an extended period of time until your brain just does it almost subconsciously, like brushing your teeth.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure