Locked out

I could see the keys through the window of the door, but I had just pulled the door shut with a brand new doorknob.

Locked out.

My mind raced as to what to do now. The only keys for that door were just on the other side of the door. Thankfully we had just had a new key made for our front door, but there was only one and we gave it to our realtor.

It was pouring down rain, I had no phone, no keys, no wallet and no one was with me. So, I ran to my neighbors to borrow a phone to call my wife. I was totally dependent on others at that point.

From there my wife called my in-laws. They picked me up. My wife called our realtor to get our only working key. My father-in-law to me to our realtor's house. He then took me back to our house so I could get back in.

How many times a day do you have the feeling of being totally dependent? How many times are you locked outside of the house, in the cold, with nothing but a T-shirt, pants and some shoes on?

As I reflect on that moment it reminds me of my daily dependence on God. I don't think about it often enough. I don't picture myself as without everything I need, but I am. I say, "God I need your help today." But then I grab my smartphone, my keys, and my wallet and I'm on my way.

God I need your help today.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure