My feet are wet

We were on a high last night when we got home after selling our old house!

We were celebrating with our kids by having corn dogs and were planning to have a relaxing evening at our new house... until I went downstairs to put some stuff away and realized my socks were all wet. We have a totally finished basement and the thought of flooding in the basement with all of the stuff we had down there brought on panic.

It was a scramble to start moving stuff, breaking out wet vacs and trying to keep up with the water that the sump pump was not moving out of the house. And I had no idea how to get the pump to work properly. The other issue was it was 5PM and most plumbers are done for the day. So, now I'm trying to get a plumber to come and my pregnant wife and I are trying to shop vac up water and keep our little kids entertained upstairs until a plumber comes to assess the situation and get it fixed.

It was a nightmare, BUT it could have been way worse. Sitting here this morning writing this, I don't think we've had much of any damage. There was a less than probably even a 1/4" of water in the basement at the worst and that was only maybe 1/3 of the basement. Plus, I must have caught it right away, because the water hadn't spread very far.

We're thankful for plumbers today, thankful for family and friends that helped with ways to get rid of the water, thankful for friends that watched our kids. Thankful for water extraction people that have installed fans to help ensure we don't have mold. I'm thankful I went down in the basement when I did.

I'm reminded we live in a broken world today. As much as we try to protect ourselves and things, stuff breaks. We go through difficulty. It's part of the effects of sin in this world. One day all will be made right like it was intended to be in the beginning.

I don't believe there will be any sump pumps that fail in heaven.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure