I don't really "do" anything

Talking to my boss the other day and he made this statement to me after sharing on a conference call what he did.

"I don't really "do" anything, but talk to people."

His statement kind of bothered me, because I know it isn't true. So later I told him he actually contributes a lot. He may not be actually creating something that's physical, but his fingerprints are all over everything that I produce. He mentioned he enjoys things like being in the tractor cab and seeing the field planted behind him or mowing the yard and seeing the final product that he did. It's harder for him to see the final product of something that he helped brainstorm as something he produced. I get it.

But I'm also thankful that he sees where his strengths are in coming up with a lot of the larger concepts and helping shape those down to tactics. And that he doesn't feel he needs to try and actually create the final marketing products... because he doesn't have the skill set or if he did I know it would use up way too much of his valuable time.

So, maybe you feel you don't "do" anything because you're not making something physically. Are you involved in the process though? Chances are you're helping shape it. If you really aren't doing anything maybe you need to find another job or maybe you need to push yourself to do something.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure