Take a meal or just visit

My grandparents live just a block from us and my wife and I have started trying to make an effort to visit them once a week. We've probably made it the last month or so. They love seeing our kids and I think it's a break from the long days for them.

They don't have a car anymore because my Grandma has macular degeneration and can't see far away very well and my Grandpa's memory is extremely poor. So they don't get out a lot unless someone drives them somewhere.

So last night we brought them dinner and just hung out with them for the evening. My Grandma especially seems to really enjoy it. My Grandpa I believe does too, but he's tougher to read and talk with, he tends to be fairly quiet anymore because he realizes he can't remember much in the short term.

My wife has taught me a lot as far as reaching out to the elderly. She did this same thing with her grandparents when we lived in Peoria. It gets her out of the house, but I know she sees the value in building a relationship with those that don't get to see a lot of people regularly too. So she's typically the one that says, "Why don't we go see your grandparents today."

Thankful for my wife.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure