My daughter said it

"Dad, do you know what you're doing?", my daughter said.

I stopped what I was doing and looked at my little 4-year-old girl, shocked that I heard those words come out of her mouth. And I can't remember exactly what I said next, but I think it was something like... "Josie you should never say that to a man when he's working on a house project."

My next thought was where did she pick that up from? I know I've heard my mother-in-law say it before and I think I've heard my wife say it before too. But I never expected my four-year-old would already be saying it.

Did I look like I didn't know what I was doing as I was hanging a new light fixture? What is it about someone questioning us when we're doing something that just gets us? I know pride plays a big role and when I know what I'm doing (I've done it before) it's even tougher to hear. I think part of it is in the questioning of knowing what you're doing that hints at maybe he/she doesn't know what they're doing.

I'd rather hear, "Would you like some help?" Instead of the dreaded, "Do you know what you're doing?"

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure