The helper

Yesterday at church there was a family that came in and sat a couple rows in front of us. The youngest son had his button-up shirt on totally inside out. And as I saw it, I thought to myself maybe I should offer to help him go somewhere to get it fixed.

A couple minutes later I saw him leave with his older sister and then they came back and his shirt was fixed. Maybe this seems like a silly story and I myself am wondering why it got my attention yesterday.

I think part of it is that this family lost their dad earlier this year. And also that this young boy has down syndrome. I'm sure that this year has been challenging. A shirt that was put on inside out isn't that big of a deal in comparison to the things they've faced in this past year.

Should I have offered to help him with his shirt? Maybe instead of worrying about his shirt I should have just introduced my family to this family and been friendly after the service.

The other thing that stood out with this sister helping her brother was that this sister helped her brother. It didn't seem like she was irritated about it, but instead, she genuinely wanted to help him. She wanted him to have his shirt on right. I hope that as my kids get older that they have this kind of love for one another where they have one another's back when they need help.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure