They took away our car

"Can you believe they took away our car?"

I think I've heard my grandparents say this at least 10 times in some way or another since their kids talked with them and they all mutually decided that it was best to give their car away. My grandma has macular degeneration in her eyes and my grandpa has some form of dementia. So neither one of them is really fit to drive whether alone or together.

But, it's been really tough for them. They've been independent for a really long time. They've been able to drive wherever they wanted to go. Now, they have to call up someone to take them to the grocery store, they need a ride to church, any appointments, or anything else.

So, whenever we see them it seems like the not having a car conversation comes up. And whenever they see their empty garage it brings some sadness. It's tough.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have had something like a car for so long and then not be able to get around anymore with it. Thankfully, a couple of their kids live close and grandkids as well. We're only a block away. On Monday we invited them over for dinner. So, I stopped over, picked them up and brought them over to our place.

I need to remember my grandparents more and some of the challenges they have. A little time away from their place for dinner at ours (a block away) with our little kids is a fun getaway for them.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure