Did you spend all your money on this gift?

Our daughter asked, "Did you spend all your money on this gift?" after she opened up her American Girl doll. This along with a lot of other questions like... "Who bought this gift for me?" and "How much did it cost?"

She knew she was going to get an American Girl doll, but my wife had also made it clear that they are expensive. Our daughter also has known for a while that my wife had a few American Girl dolls from her childhood. We ended up giving her one of my wife's for Christmas.

It was really cute to see my daughter's concern about the cost of the doll, and I don't think it's a bad thing. But, it also makes me think that it's important that we think about what we say to our kids or anyone for that matter. For example, if we would have never said anything about the cost of an American Girl doll, she would have never said anything when she opened the present about the cost of the present.

What you say matters... always.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure