Do you get mad about an accident?

My wife was backing out of the garage and just barely clipped the bottom of our garage as it was going up. Somehow she pulled the weatherstripping piece and the metal it is attached to off just a little bit. It was enough to mess up the garage door and enough that she ended up texting me about it. And it was enough that I came home from work to take a look at it with her dad to decide what to do.

But, I didn't get mad at her about it. She already felt bad enough. She didn't do it on purpose. And she was already feeling really overwhelmed as well.

One thing that being married and having kids has taught me is that when something unexpected happens and it's an accident don't get mad at the person. Maybe they should have paid more attention and the milk wouldn't have spilled, but I shouldn't get mad at them because it wasn't on purpose. There's a difference between purposefully doing something and it being unplanned. And typically when I get mad about an accident it's not because it happened, but it's because I then have to clean up "the mess". And getting mad at someone that already knows what happened is their fault and they didn't mean to do it just makes them feel even worse about it.

So, next time someone accidentally does something that could annoy you. Love them.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure