Don't read this, but read it

Last night I was writing my blog post when my wife leaned over and asked what you writing about tonight? I all of a sudden got very self-conscious about what I was writing about. I said something like, "Don't read what I'm writing as I'm writing." I think some of it had to do with the fact that it was about painting walls, which has been a point of contention in our marriage. My perfectionism. And some of it had to do with me thinking she would feel the same way about writing a blog and having someone look over her shoulder and maybe critique what she was writing as she was writing it.

Well, my harshness about her inquisitiveness didn't go over so well. She had no idea I would react that way. It is kind of a hard thing to make sense of... Why is it that I have no problem with people reading my blog after a post is published, but I don't want someone looking over my shoulder as I'm writing or asking me as I'm writing what I'm writing about?

Especially when it's my wife. The one I should be most open with. I don't like sharing my work until I feel like it's close to complete or until it's at a place where I'm happy with the idea. I don't want to be caught looking like I don't know what I'm doing or with something that's not good. But, at the same time, I need feedback... I need my wife to say I wouldn't say it that way or I'd change that.

So, don't read what I'm writing until I'm done writing it..., but then I want you to read it!

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure