Those red circle notifications

As I look at my computer right now I have a couple of apps that have that dreaded red circle with a number inside at the top right corner of the app.

I really don't like that little icon. It gets your attention for sure. But what does it mean? There's some action that I evidently need to take... accept a calendar invite, read emails, upgrade an app, look at something. But, it typically weights all things that need to be looked at the same way, which I wouldn't do my self.

Especially for email. I've ended up turning most of them off. All it does it makes me feel like I'm missing out on something that I need to do right away, which isn't true. I don't need to read an email on some marketing promotion right when it comes through or upgrade an app the moment the upgrade is available. I guess I do like knowing that something should be done, but I prefer to know once I decide to spend time in the app, unless it's time-sensitive, which at that point the person should just send me a text or call me.

At some point, especially with email, when you a number like 163 or even 2,356 what's the point in keeping it in a red circle in the top right corner of the app? It seems like it's not making the person check the app to review all of the unread.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure