Why are things so important?

It's just stuff, right?

My daughter said this last night, "God is more important than things." It was in response to my mother-in-law's family feud around all the stuff that they have to divvy up. It's been over a year since they started and it's been extremely emotionally charged. Many things have been said among the siblings about each other and who gets what.

Some are upset that others don't value some things as much as they do or want them. Some think some have taken too much stuff. Some feel like they don't get anything. Some think it's not fair. Some just want it all done.

All these things are important to all of them for different reasons. And they're not the only ones that value stuff. I do. My kids do. My wife does. Not everything, but there are things that we place value on. But, my wife and I want to work to instill in our kids that people and God are way more important than things.

I find myself saying things like, "Don't play with that on the floor. You might scratch it." "Don't hit that wall with your toy." "Don't touch that, it's not a toy. (referring to my phone/tablet/computer)". And there's a place for some of that. I'm teaching that things can be damaged or broken. Some things or more fragile. But I need to care more about my kids than things. And realize that the thing that I value today, may have very little value in 20 years, but my kids will still have value. It's funny if you think back about it. Most of the time that thing that you were so excited about. That new phone from 2001... where is it now? Maybe you got rid of it or it's in the junk draw.

So, I'm challenging myself to not be so attached to stuff. To not hold on so tightly. It's just stuff. It's all God's.

Let's share.
Let's give.
Let's love people more than stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure