What is whining?

I don't take advantage of the teaching moments that there are as often I could with our kids. Especially the whiny moments. In those times I typically want to try and shut the whining down as quickly as possible by either giving in or threatening with a consequence.

Last night as we were leaving my sister's place my kids started complaining that they didn't get to have a s'more but their cousins were going to have some. At that moment we were ready to just tell them that they need to stop complaining and I could see there might be a tantrum coming from one of our kids too.

I told my wife let's try to teach during this time. I can't remember all that I said, but I know I asked our kids what whining is. They responded that it's sin. I briefly talked about how they need to have a thankful heart for all they got to do with their cousins today. They did stop complaining and we didn't have a meltdown. As I'm trying to retell this I honestly can't remember what I said more than this.

My point is not that we did it perfectly, but that we purposefully tried to teach our kids in a moment when we just wanted them to stop complaining. They listened and I believe we made them think about how they were acting because they stopped what they were doing.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure