Opening a new can of worms

I'm not a web developer, but I decided earlier this year that I would build a website. So I did it. I built a website for our vacation rental property in Gulf Shores, Alabama called The Lazy Lady. After failing to understand the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org I got back up again and built our website on the wordpress.org platform using Elementor (the free version). I also had the help of a lot of YouTube videos to get it started.

Now that the website is up I'm learning about SEO (search engine optimization) and that there's constant tweaking to try and get your website to show up better in organic search. We've got a lot of challenges because we're such a small business... 1 vacation rental home at this point. So we're probably not going to show up in the first page results of Google much unless someone searches for "Lazy Lady Gulf Shores". We're up against all the large vacation rental companies and even the mid-size ones that have a bunch of properties.

But, one thing I'm learning is that a blog around relevant content that generous can help in giving you better SEO. This is where another can of worms opens up though. Our original website doesn't have a blog designed into it. And adding it means I either have to find some really good plug-ins for WordPress that work with Elementor, learn how to use the blog area (and probably code) some of what WordPress has, or move up to Elementor Pro. There also may be other options. Ultimately it's a learning curve again and I want to make the best decision, but I need to realize that I might not and that's OK. I'll learn from it again.

So, I'll be opening a can of worms and picking out the best looking worm to hopefully catch a big one. We'll see how it goes.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure