Bigger than a bike

My older son is going to be ready for a bigger bike next year. He turns 4 in just a few more weeks. We currently have 2 bigger bikes, but one is Hello Kitty and the other is a Disney Princess bike. Our daughter ended up with 2 because we borrowed one from my parents and we got another one from VarageSale.

Do we just have him ride a pink "girly" bike? He's going to need a larger bike again at some point. It's not that we can't afford a boy bike. I tend to feel like we should get him a boy bike. We also have a younger son too that would end up riding it.

I don't know that I would give it a second thought, but my wife brought it up to me asking if we even needed to get Baer a bike. She asked why does he need a "boy" bike? There's really no difference other than the characters on the bike. I get it. I mentioned though that it's different with some "girly" characters on a bike than just a color of a bike. Our daughter probably would have a hard time wanting to ride a G.I. Joe or a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bike.

So after talking about it some I think we're going to get him a "boy" bike for his birthday/Christmas. Does it really matter? I don't know. I guess I don't want my son being made fun of because he rides a girl bike. I guess there's some pride there on my part. I know I can't control what other kids might say to my kids, but I can control what bike they show up in. But then again it could be a great teaching moment too if he did ride a "girly" bike and some kids made fun of him.

What do you show up in? What vehicle do you drive? What clothes do you wear? Why? Is it you just like what you like? Is it that you want to fit into a certain group? Most of us want to belong to some part of a group and part of that is the things (brands) we choose.

Our family drives Toyotas. Why don't we drive KIAs or Teslas? We have iPhones. Why don't we have Galaxy or Pixel?

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure