A great skill to have

There is a skill to introducing yourself to others. To being friendly. To some, it comes more naturally than to others. We're trying to work with our oldest on introducing herself to people she doesn't know as she gets ready for kindergarten. She can be pretty shy and can easily sit back and just observe.

That's what happened yesterday with her when I could tell she wanted to go play with her neighbor girlfriends, but they had other friends over. So, she just watched them from across the street. I finally told her she had to go inside and my wife talked to her about introducing herself and being friendly. So my daughter decided she would go out and introduce herself to them and practice. She did great. We just have to push her to do it. 

It's uncomfortable to talk to people that we don't know until we do it and then it's not. The only way we'll get good at it is to do it. I think we'll be trying to do this more with our kids. I think it's a great skill to have.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure