209,901 minutes listened on Spotify over the last 5 years

Over the last 5 years, I've averaged listening to the Spotify app for what would add up to 29 days straight 24/7 each year. That's a lot of listening to music.

I just received the end of the year email from Spotify and to me, it's great marketing. It's all about the customer and what Spotify has been able to deliver to me in a way that's interesting... not creepy.

The email is called, 'Here's your year in music, all wrapped up" and that's exactly what it is. It's a link to check out a summary of everything you listened to. You see the total amount of time you spent listening to music, a playlist of your favorites from the year, your favorite artist of the year, even music for the decade since we're wrapping up a decade this year. There's even a way to share your stats on social or favorite artist(s) on social. I'd say they put some serious thought into how they could present their analytics in a way that's fun and interesting to their customers.

I think the thing that kind of took it over the top for me was the ability to Tweet out a pre-made tweet with the amount of time I spent listening to my top artist. Here's what the tweet would say, "Thank you Ben Rector for spending 23 hours with me this year on @Spotify. You are my #1. #spotifywrapped link". It makes it very obvious who you enjoyed listening to. I couldn't believe I listened to this guy for almost a full day over the past year.

That got me thinking about the lyrics of songs. How many times have I listened to the same song over and over? Whether consciously or subconsciously. Those lyrics are making me think at least sometimes. And what is it about Ben Rector too that I like so much. I think part of it is his lyrics. Some of them make you think and some of them are just fun. And of course, the music is a big part of what makes it so enjoyable to listen to.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure