Fire and a boy

I see little glimpses of my three-year-old boy maturing... glimpses. Usually, he's pretty crazy, a typical boy. But, last night we burned a bunch of wood from some tree limbs I cut down and he helped cut the branches down and put them in the fire and he was so calm. Maybe it was the seriousness of a fire that could harm him that made him calm down a bit, listen to me, and work together with me, but it was nice to see he can do it. He can be a helper. He can control himself.

The other thing I noticed is the difference between boys and girls. My daughter just sat in a chair and watched us cut limbs and put them in the fire. She was totally content to observe. While my son just couldn't help himself. He wanted to be right in there cutting limbs and throwing them in the fire. There's something about a little danger that draws a boy in. That desire for excitement and a little unknown of what will happen when I throw this branch in.

It's fun to see our kids growing up.

Popular posts from this blog

Are you thankful?

Sending notes

Choose your own adventure